Folly Beach is a favorite source of inspiration for me. It is a barrier island and known as "The Edge of America," which inspired the name "On the Edge Studio." I enjoy working with 3 different themes- Traditional, Nature, and Mixed Media. This blog is a way to show my quilts and share some of their stories with family and friends.











Friday, June 6, 2014

Flamingo In The Grass

Something I really enjoy doing while at the beach is ride my bike or the golf cart. There is always something fun or quirky to see. Those plastic flamingo figures amuse me and they appear in the yards of many people.
 I particularly enjoyed this one tucked into a lush, pretty garden with some pink flowers. I wanted to use it as a focal point in a new piece.
I started by drawing a close up of some blades of grass.
Then I chose this piece of fabric that I had dyed using a deconstructed printing process.
Then I chose several hand dyed green fabrics to cut as the grass.
 I painted a flamingo on pink fabric. Then I did lots of quilting of leaves in the background.
Next I cut out some other pinks to represent flowers and added some beads for flower buds. I chose a hand dyed green fabric for the border and layered the hand dyed cheesecloth on top.
 "Flamingo in the Grass" is available on my Gallery Shop.

1 comment:

Comments? Love to hear them from you.