Folly Beach is a favorite source of inspiration for me. It is a barrier island and known as "The Edge of America," which inspired the name "On the Edge Studio." I enjoy working with 3 different themes- Traditional, Nature, and Mixed Media. This blog is a way to show my quilts and share some of their stories with family and friends.











Monday, June 9, 2014

Coral Trail

I really enjoy working with the fabric I have painted with a marbling process. Recently, I started a new piece.
The painted fabric is layered with a wool batting, stabilizer, and backing fabric. This is what it looked like after a little stitching to create organic shapes in the teal and lime green areas. I continued to add more shapes and then stitched with a stones design to fill in around them.
 The main piece is completed but then I need to decide how to finish it. Lately, I have really liked making a separate back piece on which to attach the main piece. It usually takes a while to choose what I would like for this back piece. This photo shows one option - a commercial print with a hand dyed silk gauze over it.
 This idea has the same fabric choice as shown above to use in the bottom area with the addition of a lime colored hand dyed gauze on the upper part.
 This option shows a really nice hand dyed cotton in a green.
This last option  was my final choice. It is a nice shot cotton with green and blue colors in the weave.
 The top was finished with a soft line edge. This is a detail from the back.
"Coral Trail" finished at 13" x 18" and is available in my Gallery Shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Love to hear them from you.