Folly Beach is a favorite source of inspiration for me. It is a barrier island and known as "The Edge of America," which inspired the name "On the Edge Studio." I enjoy working with 3 different themes- Traditional, Nature, and Mixed Media. This blog is a way to show my quilts and share some of their stories with family and friends.











Thursday, April 17, 2014

White Meadow

Last fall the Fiber Junkies worked with fiber paste and stencils. It was a really fun method and produced some lovely pieces. Judy used a bamboo stencil and created this lovely cloth.
I love it and so did she.  She made a fabulous piece from this cloth and it is pictured on her blog "Windy Hill Happenings"
This is a cloth I had made from a deconstructed screen printing session.
I had stenciled in the row of flowers in white and green fiber paste.
I wanted to do a little thread sketching. I started by stitching in the flowers from the fiber paste. Then I added some leaves and flowers in different green threads.
The upper part of the piece needed a little adjustment to the color, which was achieved with colored pencils. Next was to quilt in more floral motifs for texture in the background.  After experimenting with several shades of green and lavender thread, I chose a white thread so that it would not overpower the subtle coloration of the piece.
 I decided a border was needed and chose a hand dye that was the right color. After quilting it and looking at it again, I was not happy with the border. While the proportions were good, I thought the color of the border was dominating the piece.
So I decided to narrow the border, cut off half of it. That was easier said than done since it was already quilted. This is it pinned back.
This is the finished piece. I have named it "White Meadow". It measures 15" x 11". 

2 comments:

  1. Kate this is so lovely........what a fabulous finished project developed from exploring a new technique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, this is a wonderful piece...I love the fiber paste flowers and the additional stitching adds so much. Good choice to narrow the border...it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Love to hear them from you.