Folly Beach is a favorite source of inspiration for me. It is a barrier island and known as "The Edge of America," which inspired the name "On the Edge Studio." I enjoy working with 3 different themes- Traditional, Nature, and Mixed Media. This blog is a way to show my quilts and share some of their stories with family and friends.











Friday, April 4, 2014

Water Falling

Several months ago I made a pieced top with the traditional coin design. I chose colors to give the image of a waterfall.
I wasn't sure how I wanted to quilt it to further the idea of a waterfall.
 I made a few sketches on a white board.
 I loved the top and recently made another, similar top.  This would be a good place to try out my quilting ideas.
This is the back of that quilt. I love the quilting, but it wasn't giving the look I wanted on the front of the quilt. 

Back to the drawing board for more ideas.
 This bowl features an Art Deco style design for a waterfall.
 So does this vintage dressing table.  I really like the V design to depict water falling. I thought this would work well in my vertical pieced strips.
Then I found a photo of this Waterfall design necklace from the same era. I needed to figure out how to give this idea of drops falling to quilt in the white vertical strip.
Here is a close-up of my quilting. There are irregular V's with an occasional diamond shape in the colored strips. 
And here is the final piece.

2 comments:

  1. This is a lovely piece and I love your choice of quilting...Can't wait to see it in person

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Love to hear them from you.