Folly Beach is a favorite source of inspiration for me. It is a barrier island and known as "The Edge of America," which inspired the name "On the Edge Studio." I enjoy working with 3 different themes- Traditional, Nature, and Mixed Media. This blog is a way to show my quilts and share some of their stories with family and friends.











Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Iron On Vinyl for Silkscreens

While in Houston, I saw a demonstration by Enid Weichselbaum on making a simple silkscreen using Iron On Vinyl. I was quite interested and thought I would try it.
My supplies were a sketch for the design, a cutting blade, sharpie pen and the iron on vinyl.
 The vinyl has paper with grid markings on one side of it. This is my design after I cut it out.
 A blue sharpie was scribbled on the vinyl side to make the design more visible.
I peeled away the paper from the vinyl and ironed it onto a sheer fabric.
Then I used paint to print the design on paper. Not the best of results. So I did some experimenting. I ironed the vinyl again to the sheer. There wasn't much difference.
 So then I thought it was a problem with the sheer fabric not retaining a good hold. So I cut another design from the vinyl and ironed it onto a different sheer fabric.
Not a big difference in photo above.
What did make a difference was making sure that I printed the screen over my padded surface! So easy to forget some basics.
I am not sure I am a big fan of this type of silkscreen. Each time I rinsed off the paint, the vinyl came away from the sheer fabric. As it dried, it re-adhered itself.  Might need to do a little more experimenting.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a very useful technique. I mean to try it using sticky vinyl shelf lining adhered to a silk screen. You gave me the basics for preparing the pattern. And 'hello' from Canada - we met at Carol's class in October and again in Houston. Anne

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Love to hear them from you.