Folly Beach is a favorite source of inspiration for me. It is a barrier island and known as "The Edge of America," which inspired the name "On the Edge Studio." I enjoy working with 3 different themes- Traditional, Nature, and Mixed Media. This blog is a way to show my quilts and share some of their stories with family and friends.











Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Thermofax Screen Prints

Judy does a lot of printing on fabric and has a thermofax machine to make screens for printing. She offered the Fiber Junkies an opportunity to make a screen. Needless to say, we were delighted.
 This is the machine. We needed to bring a drawing or design that was copied on a laser printer. A piece of the film, larger than the design, was fed through the machine with  the laser copy.
 This is my design after it was "burned" onto the film.
 Judy is very organized. Above on the left is my thermofax screen. I applied her yellow duct tape to the edges and even marked which side is the top when printing. On the right is my paper design.
 Don't know if you can tell, but this is my design printed on a file folder. Such a wonderful way to organize and store each of the somewhat fragile screens.
 Then, we also printed onto a piece of plastic, like they sell on the roll at Wal-Mart. I have the white tissue paper behind the plastic to photograph. Judy does this so that you can preview the design over the fabric for placement. Such a wonderful idea. I would like to be so organized.
Gen had brought a pretty blue and pink duct tape for her screen.
 This is hers printed on a file folder. She has 2 different prints on one screen.
These are Mary's 4 designs. I really like all of them and am looking forward to using my screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Love to hear them from you.