Folly Beach is a favorite source of inspiration for me. It is a barrier island and known as "The Edge of America," which inspired the name "On the Edge Studio." I enjoy working with 3 different themes- Traditional, Nature, and Mixed Media. This blog is a way to show my quilts and share some of their stories with family and friends.











Monday, October 28, 2013

Paper Cloth with Fiber Junkies

Oh what fun you can have with some cloth and a bunch of paper and tissue scraps with glue to hold it all together! Gen was our guide with her previous experience in making paper cloth that we all admired.
 This is some of the papers we had collected.
 This is my tray with a piece of cloth on it, ready to start. Note the jar and glue. We thinned out the glue and used a sponge brush to apply it to the cloth.

 These are some papers I had cut and torn. I liked the maps and some wrapping paper. After I had laid some paper out, I couldn't wait to get started.
 So I spread the thin glue on the cloth and then added the papers with more glue.
 This is what it looked like after I added strips of tissue paper. Then I painted a really pretty blue wash that Gen brought over the white areas.
That was so much fun that I immediately did another paper cloth. The colors are pretty similar. I really liked the green and aqua tissue paper. More of that same blue paint was added. Do you see the red swirls? That was a tissue paper. I liked the movement of it and added it liberally to my cloth.
 This pink one was made by another fiber junkie, very pretty. Wish I took notes on who made what.
 I like this one with the yellow, made by Gen. You can see hints of her blue paint wash on the light areas.
 After lunch, some of us were inspired to have fun with paper napkins and tissue paper directly on the cloth. So there wasn't any magazine or other paper.  I really liked the striped and plaid napkins and threw in the polka dots and a leafy napkin. Then that same blue paint was added at the end.
Val had a pretty paper napkin at lunch that I really liked. It is the aqua swirl that you see above. I tore it and distributed around the cloth with a floral napkin and map pieces.

1 comment:

  1. I love your idea of making cards...I was stymied as to what to do with this paper cloth....

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Love to hear them from you.