Folly Beach is a favorite source of inspiration for me. It is a barrier island and known as "The Edge of America," which inspired the name "On the Edge Studio." I enjoy working with 3 different themes- Traditional, Nature, and Mixed Media. This blog is a way to show my quilts and share some of their stories with family and friends.











Monday, October 21, 2013

Knoxville and Fiber

We were in Knoxville on a recent Saturday and went to the Market downtown. It was a really busy, fun place to be. I particularly enjoyed the booth where a woman was knitting socks, on a machine! I haven't done any knitting since I was in college, and not much then. But I have been most interested in the knitting of my fiends, particularly hand knitted socks.
It is hard to see the machine well, but you can see the green and orange skeins of wool. They go up through the thread stand that hangs over the knitting device.

The knitter is attached to a painted stool. There is a hand crank to turn the yarn around the inside of the round device.  See the weight hanging below? It holds the sock in place as it is knitted.

In this picture you can see the inside of the round device where all the knitting action is.

Look at these beautiful wool yarns. A few are commercially available, the rest are hand dyed by the knitter.

These are her socks for sale. Aren't they great?!

This is another booth with hand dyed scarves and fabrics sewn into garments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Love to hear them from you.