Folly Beach is a favorite source of inspiration for me. It is a barrier island and known as "The Edge of America," which inspired the name "On the Edge Studio." I enjoy working with 3 different themes- Traditional, Nature, and Mixed Media. This blog is a way to show my quilts and share some of their stories with family and friends.











Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Fiber Paste & Modeling Paste Fun

Yesterday was a very fun day with the Fiber Junkies experimenting with fiber paste and modeling paste on paper and fabric.  Gen had some experience with these products and we admired a piece she had made with fiber paste. This is it below. Isn't it pretty?


The materials needed were the fiber paste or modeling paste product, stencils, and a spatula or old credit card. 


 


 Then we selected some fabrics and stencils and used the card/spatula to spread the paste over the stencil. 

 Here is Val spreading the paste through a stencil. 
 
Here is Mary (and a little bit of Denny) having fun. She also used a paste with "glass" beads. It was very pretty when it dried, It looked clear and colorless. Check Mary's blog for more pictures.

Some of us used a thick amount of the paste. I tended to keep my layers thin.  I also liked to only fill part of the stencils. This lets the eye fill in the parts.

 So, this is the stencil I liked.
 
This is it on my fabric with the paste filling in part of the stencil. 
 
We set the fabric outside to dry.

I thought it would be fun to add paint to my modeling paste. So I added green, my favorite color. This is a container with the colored paste.

I wanted a little depth by adding the green.
 
 Another stencil I liked had a brick pattern.  I put it on some fabric I had rusted a few years ago.
 
The blog site has turned this picture sideways, but you get the idea.
 
This is a piece of  fabric I had dyed and printed.
 
This is it after the modeling paste with a few different floral stencils. I did the 2nd layer in green on this piece also.

It will be interesting to see what we do with these pieces.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Love to hear them from you.