Folly Beach is a favorite source of inspiration for me. It is a barrier island and known as "The Edge of America," which inspired the name "On the Edge Studio." I enjoy working with 3 different themes- Traditional, Nature, and Mixed Media. This blog is a way to show my quilts and share some of their stories with family and friends.











Thursday, July 17, 2014

More Ice Dyeing - with Denny

I really love the process and finished products from ice dyeing fabric. Denny had heard me go on about it and thought she would like to give it a try. So, a few weeks ago I gathered up my supplies and headed to her house for a wonderful day.
 As it turned out, I didn't need to bring any supplies for Denny. She has such an extensive supply of various items in her studio that she was all set. Here are the bins with my old oven racks on top.
 Look at all the dyes Denny has. She had a really great tip, which is to tape a color swatch of each dye color to the top of its container as an easy reference.  It doesn't show well in this photo.
 This is Denny with her 2 bins and a wire shelf over them. Do you see the fabric in the bin underneath? This is actually my favorite thing, to place fabric underneath that catches all the extra dye as the ice melts.
 Here is my dye - yellow and blues, a winning combination!
 I decided to take a photo of the dyes I use as a reference.  Robin Egg Blue is my new favorite color for ice dyeing.
 This is part of the set up for a parfait style ice dyeing in a plastic bucket.
This is after the ice and dye were added.
                                             
We both got such wonderful results. These above are Denny's.
These are 2 of mine on some bamboo rayon Denny gave me. They are wonderful, much better than the photo.

1 comment:

  1. These are gorgeous...still my favorite process...Can't wait to see what you do with them!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Love to hear them from you.