Folly Beach is a favorite source of inspiration for me. It is a barrier island and known as "The Edge of America," which inspired the name "On the Edge Studio." I enjoy working with 3 different themes- Traditional, Nature, and Mixed Media. This blog is a way to show my quilts and share some of their stories with family and friends.











Saturday, March 15, 2014

Handy Tools- Bloc Loc and Scissors

My friends have some tools I really like.
 Mary Kay makes a lot of half square triangles. She cuts the fabric pieces larger than necessary, requiring trimming after the pieces are sewn and pressed (I adopted this practice from her).  This is a good way to ensure precision of the completed squares.
 This is her handy travel box of items to trim.

This is a wonderful new tool she uses which makes trimming much easier. It is called a Bloc-Loc and quite ingenious as it has a groove on the underside to allow space for the seam allowance. This way there is no rocking of the template over the block while cutting. Naturally, I needed this great tool and found it while in Houston for Festival.
Georgia brought these scissors, sold by Karen Kay Buckley, to PTA last week. They are extra nice for handwork and trimming. They are very sharp and the handles have nice large, rubber-like grips.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Love to hear them from you.