Folly Beach is a favorite source of inspiration for me. It is a barrier island and known as "The Edge of America," which inspired the name "On the Edge Studio." I enjoy working with 3 different themes- Traditional, Nature, and Mixed Media. This blog is a way to show my quilts and share some of their stories with family and friends.











Saturday, December 14, 2013

Dyeing a Four Color Gradation

I still have lots of dye left and don't want to waste it. So I mixed up 4 colors that are sequenced by adding more red. This is a method to dye several colors all on one piece of fabric.
 I started with a fat 1/2 yard that was soaked in soda ash solution. I arranged part of it in the dish and added the 1st color. I really manipulated the material to get an even distribution of the dye.
 I pushed that colored part of fabric up the other side of the dish and arranged more of the white fabric in the dish. Then a 2nd color was added and manipulated. Then a 3rd color was added.
This photo was turned upside down, but it shows that I added the rest of the fabric to the dish with the 4th color in the sequence.
This is the final fabric. I love the color gradation.
 

1 comment:

Comments? Love to hear them from you.