Folly Beach is a favorite source of inspiration for me. It is a barrier island and known as "The Edge of America," which inspired the name "On the Edge Studio." I enjoy working with 3 different themes- Traditional, Nature, and Mixed Media. This blog is a way to show my quilts and share some of their stories with family and friends.











Saturday, July 6, 2013

Scrappy Quilts - Design Inspiration

I love to make scrappy quilts.  Generally they will have some fabric pieces left from previous projects in them, supplemented by my fabric stash. 
Often I will plan a project that is inspired by a particular fabric.  Below is a piece that was inspired by the embroidered daisy fabric.
 Daisy Fence
 

There are a few designs I have developed and modified over the years that often work well for me. One of them is this strip piecing style which I find very useful for a quilt that features a large print. I vary the size of the strips to meet the size of the print and the quantity of fabric. The quilt width is that of the featured fabric. Below is another example.

Dinosaur Fun

I wish I had taken pictures of all the quilts in this style I have made. They are fun and relatively quick, therefore a good choice for local philanthropy projects.

Summer Fun