Folly Beach is a favorite source of inspiration for me. It is a barrier island and known as "The Edge of America," which inspired the name "On the Edge Studio." I enjoy working with 3 different themes- Traditional, Nature, and Mixed Media. This blog is a way to show my quilts and share some of their stories with family and friends.











Monday, August 19, 2013

Scrappy Quilts for Soldiers

In 2003 I learned that the Quilters Guild of Southern Maryland was collecting quilts to give to injured soldiers as they arrived at Andrews Air Force Base. This was something that really struck a chord with me and I made about 3 dozen quilts that year to donate. 

I started by making these 2 quilts made with the friendship star blocks. I had won the blocks a few months before in my quilt guild.  Notice the 4 tiny star blocks in the corners of the first one.


 
Then I made 2 denim quilts with my favorite Raggy pattern. The lower one had flag button emblems, stars and a pocket from the jeans appliqued on the denim fabric.


 
The yellow pinwheels in the corners of the next quilt didn't photograph well.
 
 
These are some more scrappy style quilts.


 
 
 
 
These next 2 quilts were so fun and easy to construct and quilt in waves and stars.
 

 
Theis next one was made with a small "cheater" panel in the center of the star.

 
I had a lot of fun collecting patriotic fabrics and making about 3 dozen quilts. Doing a big series of quilts like this was really a wonderful, creative learning experience. It also helped me to feel I was doing my part to support our troops.
My quilting bee decided to help me and several people in it also made a quilt. In all, we donated over 40 quilts for this good cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Love to hear them from you.